Sunday, September 26, 2010

Storm in the Night

The story of the week was Storm in the Night.This book is excellent. It is a longer story that Zoey is used to but she still loved it. I knew this story would intrigue her because this summer when ever we got thunderstorms she was so amazed and terrified at the same time. This story does not take place in a specific place so we chose Florida. It is the place where most of the lightening storms in the US happen so it was a good choice. On Monday we put our story disk on Florida. I told Zoey she could put it anywhere on Florida that she wanted. She said, "I want to put it where Aunt Debby lives." Awwww. We talked about fear and emotions. The boy in the story said he is not afraid of anything but we think maybe he is not telling the truth. We spoke some about the relationship in the book between the grandfather and the boy. When we went outside we looked and looked for clouds and finally found two little clouds. We will study clouds all week.

Tuesday - Vocabulary, something new for us. I wrote three words from the book with definition and small pictures on small cards. We spoke about the words and what they meant and then listened for them in the book. Zoey didn't seem too interested but I kept hearing her use two of the three words in her play for the rest of the week. That was neat. On of the words was errand. She kept telling Sierra to go on an errand. Sierra just does what any two year old would do. NO! I also showed her what quotation marks are and we spoke about settings and scenes in books.

Wednesday is art. Zoey's favorite. We looked at some of the faces in the book and noticed how their eyes were looking different directions. We tried this ourselves and enjoyed making faces look different ways.

Thursday I gave Zoey scrap material cut into triangles to glue down to cardboard to make her own quilt design. She made a story to go along with it too. We also spoke about the first day of fall and did leaf rubbings. I have a picture of this I will have to put up later.

Friday we went to the festival in the park. It was so much fun until we all got too tired and hungry and had to leave. Sierra and Zoey road every ride they were tall enough for even the Ferris wheel. Sierra was not afraid at all! I told the girls I was the one who was afraid on the Ferris wheel. I am a chicken. When we came home we read more library books about thunderstorms and clouds. We are trying to learn the names of the different types of the clouds but mommy has too much mommy brain and can't ever remember.

Well, sorry this wasn't as exciting as last week. I will have to try to remember better some of the funny moments. I will try to get some pictures up too.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for another week of up-dates! I love reading about what you are doing even when there isn't a funny story. How cute that Zoey wanted to put the story disk where Aunt Debby lives. :) Sounds like the festival was lots of fun. I can't wait to take Ella to things like that. Love you guys. Have a great week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After I posted my comment I said "yay" because it worked and Ella clapped. Gotta love that!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.